Serious error: Patient dead after medication interruption in the hospital

More and more treatment errors
Treatment errors in medical practices or hospitals are unfortunately not a rarity. According to an older report from the Medical Service of the Cash Point Association( MDS), more and more patients are affected. A particularly dramatic case was reported in the previous year from Duderstadt in Lower Saxony. There a patient had died because of false blood clots. There was now a fatal confusion in Austria as well.

In Austria, a patient received in a clinic instead of a potassium / magnesium "special" infusion, a calcium chloride magnesium chloride infusion. The medication intercourse cost him his life.(Image: dplett / fotolia.com)

infusion confused
In the country hospital of Kirchdorf an der Krems( Upper Austria) came a regrettable death due to a medication interruption.

As the Oberösterreichische Gesundheits- und Spitals-AG, including the LKH Kirchdorf, writes in a press release, the deceased patient received instead of a potassium / magnesium "special" infusion, a calcium chloride magnesium chloride infusion.

The 61-year-old patient died in a Vienna clinic due to the consequences of the wrong drug.

Firstly, an allergic reaction was suspected
According to the data, the patient had been admitted to the LKH Kirchdorf on 30 September due to forcibly imprisonment and then transferred to the intensive care unit. In the laboratory, a potassium deficiency was found.

The medical prescription of potassium / magnesium "spezial" was followed by other medicines against the Vorofflimmern.

After starting the infusion by an employee of the nursing care the patient complained about burning in the mouth, face and in both hands and showed an increased heart rate.

At this time, the suspicion of an allergic reaction was the reason why a particular drug was discontinued. However, infusion with potassium / magnesium was continued and administered completely.

A little later, the patient was diagnosed with elevated calcium levels and contracted therapy.

The general condition of the upper Austrian improved first, but the following night an acute acute renal failure was detected. Because of an acute respiratory distress syndrome, the 61-year-old was intubated and artificially ventilated.

The patient was finally transferred to a special department with a helicopter to Vienna, where he died on 3.10.2017.

Other patients affected by drug interactions
According to the research conducted in the clinic, it was discovered that there was obviously a drug interchange.

In addition, internal research does not rule out the possibility that two other patients are also affected by the same medication disorder but have not suffered any health damage.

Another patient who has also been treated with the drug can not be excluded.

The competent public prosecutor's office has been informed of the respective facts and will initiate investigations.

People make mistakes
"Unfortunately, mistakes can happen where people work, so even in a hospital. Unfortunately, we can not exclude them to 100%, "explained the two spin-board members Dr. Harald Geck and Mag. Karl Lehner.

"However, it is crucial that errors of this type do not happen again," says Dr. Harald Geck.

According to the company, the company has initiated both initial emergency measures to improve the distinctiveness of the drugs and "instructed to sensitize all employees once again, to examine each drug intensively before administration," said Dr. Harald Geck.

"At this point, it is also important to note that we have complete confidence in our employees. They are all involved daily with great commitment to the patients, but they work in a highly risky environment, where mistakes can unfortunately be fatal, "stressed Karl.(ad)

Infusion confused: patient dies in intensive care unit
In an Austrian hospital, a patient died because he received a "special" infusion, a calcium chloride magnesium chloride infusion, instead of a potassium / magnesium infusion. In Germany too, deaths have already occurred in hospitals due to confusion.

Pulmonary disease is a frequent cause of death

Already nearly 20 years ago, a global increase in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease( COPD) was predicted. Together, the World Health Organization( WHO), the World Bank, and researchers at Harvard University's School of Public H...

Read More

Mental suffering through life in the big city

cities are the melting pot of our society. Here life is buzzing. However, city dwellers are sometimes exposed to significant pressures such as noise or air pollution. At different levels, these can have a harmful impact on health. Stress, noise ...

Read More

Increase in health insurance contributions: Minister of Health Gröhe speaks of alarmism

Minister of Health Gröhe warns against alarmism in health insurance contributions In recent days, calculations have been reported that health insurance contributions in the coming years will increase massively. The speech was about a doubli...

Read More